Monday, October 17, 2011

Woodland Elf Winter Hat knitting pattern

Woodland Elf Winter Hat (Toddler)

  • Proficiency level: basic knowledge of knitting and purling
  • Yarn: Dreamy Super Soft Yarn in "chocolate"
  • Needles: set of size 9 (5.5 mm) and one yarn 
  • Sizes: 9-12m, (12-18m), (2-4y)


CO 38 (46) (52) stitches
Row 1-6: knit 2 purl 2 to create rib
Row 7: knit 18 (22) (25), increase 1 in next 2 stitches, knit to end of row
Row 8: purl
Row 9: knit
Repeat rows 8 and 9 until your work measures 6.5" (7") (8.5") in length
Cast off and secure yarn
Fold hat in half and stitch up back seam (opposite end of ribbing)
Make a finger chain or braided chain with remaining yarn 32" (34") (36") long and weave through the base of the hat to create a chin strap

Happy knitting! And please let me know if you have any questions. If you don't understand all the terms I will be more than happy to help you out although there is much to be learned on YouTube videos.

If you don't knit or you'd prefer to buy this from me handmade then check out my etsy site:
http://www.etsy.com/shop/collettegrace

10 comments:

  1. that little face is so dear! Thanks for posting this patetrn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this so much.
    Found your pattern and link here on Ravelry as I was perusing for an adult bonnet type of hat to make for myself with a thin-to-thick yarn I have. It works up lovely on 10 or 10.5 needles as it is more thin than thick. I am relatively new to knitting, but was wondering if you think this pattern would translate well just as is if I follow it as is???
    VH

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment :-)
      I think it probably would be a good adult size if you tried the larger size measurements with the size needle you mentioned, you will be able to tell pretty soon if it will be the right size, you can gauge your stitches and measure the size you need, just measure around the top of your head from each side of your jaw where you want the bonnet to reach across and figure how many stitches per inch and do the math, it will work out quite well if you go that route. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any problems, and I'd love to see a picture when you're done!

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. On the ribbing, are we supposed to be knitting our previous purls (so sort of alternating our rib pattern)? Or is it supposed to be a true rib stitch?

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm knitting hats for a local charity and wanted something a little different, so I went on Ravelry and found your link. Thanks so much for the free pattern - it's too cute, and so is your model!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I dont understand why it says increase one in next two stitches.. Is there any reason why you would want 1 extra stitch? I am confused about that. Thanks for the pattern.:-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do you run the braided chain through the ribbing or the bottom of the hat? I am uncertain

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Colette! Kudos to you for this pattern - I knit myself a hat every five years, and the cold New England winters necessitate as much coverage as possible. Do you have a sense of what the gauge is for this pattern? The yarn I want to use is best on no. 7 needles, so I'm not sure exactly how much I should scale up. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete